Wednesday, August 14, 2013

#whitebread, #greeknight, #dinnercollab #opa

Since I was teaching yoga the other night Jeff made dinner.  We decided on Greek night because it's super easy, fast, delish and healthy.  While we were at the store I tried to sneak whole wheat pita into the basket but was totally busted.  Jeff said he would pay for all the groceries if we could please have white bread.  OK fine.  





Chicken Souvlaki Pitas with Homemade Tzatziki and Black Quinoa Tabbouleh, Vegetarian option
Disclaimer:  If you are diehard Greek please calm down, I am half Greek and this is my healthy take on souvlaki pita.  

1 package white flatbread (or whole wheat pita!)
1 tomato
couple thin slices of sweet yellow onion

Tzatziki:
8oz 2% plain Greek yogurt 
1/2 cucumber
1tsp evoo
squeeze fresh lemon juice
pinch dried oregano
1 clove garlic through press
Salt&pep

Chicken: 
1 package organic free range chicken breast
1tbsp evoo
1tsp dried oregano
squeeze of lemon juice
1 clove garlic through press (notice a pattern?)
S&P

Black Quinoa Tabbouleh:
1 cup dried black quinoa (or red or whatevs, but I'm super into black right now)
1/2 cucumber chopped
1 chopped tomato or some cherry tomatoes halved
1/4 sweet yellow onion chopped (or red)
1/2 can chickpeas
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 tbs evoo
S&P







1. Get your grill ready.  

2. Make your quinoa.  I rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer, throw it in a pot with a little evoo, toast it for 5 min then add water (1.5 c water for 1 c quinoa) and cook about 15 min.  

3. Start your tzatziki.  Throw your yogurt in a medium bowl.  Using one of those metal box cheese graters, shred 1/2 cucumber (skin and all).  Squeeze out the liquid with a paper towel and add cukes to the bowl.  Add evoo, pressed garlic clove, oregano, lemon, and season with S&P.  Done!

4. Cook your chicken.  Traditionally the chic (or pork) is cut into cubes and skewered.  When it's done you can place one whole skewer of chic into your pita.  We didn't have skewers so we just cooked the whole breasts and chopped them.  Do you.  

5. While your chic is cooling finish your tabbouleh.  Chop tomatoes, onion, cukes, parsley and add to quinoa.  Add chickpeas, evoo, lemon juice, S&P.  Add more of anything to your liking.  

6. Assemble!  This always reminds me of working at the Greek festival in Waterbury, CT.  There are a few different ways to assemble but I like pita, tzatziki, tomato, onion, skewer.  Wrap it up B!

7. After dinner, wash your dishes or just smash them on the floor and have a dance party.  OPA!!






*Vegetarian Option:  I had this for lunch the next day and it was so good!  Leave out the chicken and throw the quinoa and chickpea tabbouleh in your pita for protein, fiber and a party in your mouth.  


***Lorin, Allison or Katie, if you have any pictures of us in Greece send them to me so I can post!

2 comments:

  1. You're hilarious. My favorite part was the disclaimer about being only half-Greek; something I only admit to if necessary. xoxoxoxo!! -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to when it comes to the Greeks! If you've ever looked up Greek recipes, the comments section is flooded with "that is a disgrace to my Yiayia" etc

    ReplyDelete